Along with the rest of the world, I have to say that I was shocked to find out that President Obama was chosen as the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate. More than shocked I was disappointed by the committee's choice. I think it has almost under-valued this most prestigious award.
My first reaction was, "What has Obama done so far?" yes, I agree that he has been a symbol of fomenting transnational relations, of dialoging of trying to open up the US's doors to the rest of the world- a big change from the last administration. In the committee's words they said that: "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and co-operation between peoples" is what earned him the award. I have said as much, does anyone want to give me a Nobel Peace Prize? Or can I not win it because I'm not as high-profile as Obama and don't have as much influence? That's not fair!
My next reaction was... "ahhh, so the committee is just trying to throw this into the face of the last administration and all their supporters." It seems more like a political message to the world, saying "never again have the same mentality as the the last administration, it is obviously unpeaceful". To me this is not really called for and I think there were hundreds more people out there who deserved the award for them to lose this opportunity to a massive political message. To the committee, maybe they felt it was their time to shine and to use the leverage they had to bring this message indirectly to the world.
If I were Obama, I think I would've refused the award. Although I did read that he said he felt he didn't deserve it and instead would take it as a "call to action" to continue acting the way he has. All in all, I don't think Obama doesn't deserve the award... I just think he didn't at this time- it was a bit too precipitated. How many leaders have said the same things he has and it has all gone down the drain? How do we know the same won't happen with this one?
Is he really different? We don't know yet! I guess we'll see how accurate Nobel's honor was once he's on his way out of the White House.
No comments:
Post a Comment